I was asked by a customer to make some strawberry flavoured cupcakes and came up with the idea of strawberries and cream (especially with Wimbledon around the corner).
I was wary of making the strawberry milkshake flavour too intense as it can be quite sickly sweet, so it's quite a subtle ingredient in this recipe. If you want a more in-your-face strawberry flavour, just up the amount and take away the equivalent weight of sugar.
I frosted these with white chocolate frosting for the 'cream' element.
Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes or an 8-inch round sandwich cake
7.5oz caster sugar
0.5oz strawberry milkshake powder
8oz soft spread
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
8.5 oz self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1tbsp milk at room temperature
1) Fill your cupcake pans with cases or grease and flour your cake tins.
2) Turn the oven on to 180 degrees Celsius.
3) In a large mixing bowl, using an electric whisk or stand mixer, cream the sugar, milkshake powder, soft spread and salt for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
4) In a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder.
5) Beat the eggs with a mixer or electric whisk into the sugar mixture one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour with each addition to stop the mixture from splitting. Add the vanilla with the last egg and beat until combined.
6) Using a large metal spoon, add the flour and baking powder mix and carefully fold in until just combined.
7) Fold milk in until a dropping consistency.
8) Spoon into cupcake cases or tins evenly and give the tins a rap on the counter to get rid of big air bubbles.
9) Bake cupcakes for 17 minutes and 8-inch cakes for 25 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10) Remove cupcakes immediately onto a wire cooling rack. If baking a sandwich cake leave to cool in the tin before turning out onto a cooling rack.